Lighthouse Investigation

What is a Lighthouse?

A lighthouse is s building that was made to guide ships. The most important part of a lighthouse is the light that it casts at night. Almost everything else at the lighthouse is designed to help keep the light as bright and visible as possible.

Sometimes lighthouses guide ships to a port or harbor. Other times they guide ships away from a hazard. Sometimes they do both.

At night, lighthouses guide ships with their light. Mariners can tell what light they are seeing by its characteristic.

During the day, lighthouses guide ships with a day mark. A lighthouse’s day mark is simply its size, shape and colour.

Where do we find them in Victoria?

Have you ever… ever seen a lighthouse like this?

Click on this picture link to read about Splitpoint Lighthouse.

Read more about the lighthouse by following this picture link.

Students of 4A, I would like you to write me a comment about the lighthouse. You may like to answer one of the following questions:

How do you find your way safely when travelling?

What about travelling at sea?

How do sailors know if there are dangerous rocks sticking up?

Do you know any lighthouses? Where are they?

Do all lighthouses look the same?

Does the light from a lighthouse shine continuously?

How does a lighthouse tell you where you are (as well as warning you of land/danger)?

How did lighthouses work long ago?

Do you know any stories about lighthouses?

Remember to follow our quality commenting guidelines which you can find again  here.

I look forward to reading your comments.

33 thoughts on “Lighthouse Investigation

1. Dear Mrs Miller,

Lighthouses don’t all look the same. Lighthouses also have a bright light that helps sailors so they don’t crash into the land. The light at the top of the lighthouse is always different depending on which lighthouse it is. It would be flashing or spinning or doing both.
    Kind Regards, Genevieve

• Dear Genevieve,
      Thank you for your comment. Well done!
      It must have been tricky for sailors to remember which lights represented which lighthouses.
      From Mrs Miller

2. Dear Mrs Miller

I know that not all lighthouses look the same but some do. Learning about lighthouses has actually been fun, I sort of want to learn more about lighthouses.

Sincerely
    Cambell

• Dear Cambell,
      Thank ou for your comment. I’m hay t hear you enjoyed learned Ng about lighthouses today, well done!
      From Mrs Mller

• Dear anonymous,
      You need to log in to Global 2 so I can tell which 4A student wrote this. Also, you need to use an opening and closing. Remember our commenting guidelines.
      From Mrs Mller

• Dear Archer,
      Don’t forget to write your name in your closing in future comments.
      You make an interesting and observation. I guess people could tell which Lighthouse they are at if they know which town they are visiting. What do you think?
      From Mrs Miller

3. Hi mrs miller
    I dint know about The first head lighthouse keeper, George Bardin took the job after falling off the crow’s nest But I do know about that it is the round the twist show. From Jordan.

• Dear Jordan,
      Thank you for your comment. It must have really hurt to fall from a crow’s nest! What do you think?
      From Mrs Miller

4. Do all lighthouses look the same? No different lighthouses look different because some in the inside the light would probably be bigger or smaller I’m talking about the light post/bulb/what the bulb is mainly in.

• Dear Brandt,
      Thank you for your comment. (Don’t forget to use an opening and closing in your comments in the future.)
      Have you ever visited a lighthouse before?
      From Mrs Miller

5. Dear Mrs Miller,
    I like learning about lighthouses and I would like to learn more about lighthouses. I can’t wait to go to see the split point lighthouse. I have leaned why lighthouses lights flash? It is because if it is just a solid light the captin might think that it is a torch but if it is flashing they will know it is a lighthouse.

• Dear Brooke,
      Thank you for your great comment. Lighthouses are very interesting, especially when we hunk about the ways they communicate to sailors and captains of ships.
      I hope you are feeling better today.
      From Mrs Miller

6. To Mrs. Miller

I don’t actually know of any lighthouses apart from Split Point. My family has a boat up in the highlands of Tasmania. We’ve gone for a ride at night but it wasn’t to dark. One way people would find their way across the ocean is using the stars and radios. If planes and submarines didn’t have radars, would they use lighthouses?

Will

• Dear Will,
      Thank you for your thoughtful comment. You pose some very interesting questions. I suppose, as a last resort, planes and submarines may be able to use the light from a lighthouse to keep away from the coastlines. I don’t think I would like to be in a submarine that had to rely on a lighthouse though.
      From Mrs Miller

7. I learnt that the light was used to show the ships where the rocks are so the ships wouldn’t crash into them. When we go there I want to find out how the lighthouse light makes light.

• Dear Jacob,
      Thank you for your comment but make sure you use an opening and closing next time.
      Over the, the way the light for lighthouses has been produced has changed. I hope our tour guide will talk about that too.
      From Mrs Mller

8. Hi Mrs Miller,
    I think If Sailors were sailing by the coast and there was a lighthouse, the lighthouse would flash the light in a certain way. That’s how the sailors would know what lighthouse it is. If the sailors knew where the lighthouse was, they would know what’s around it. I don’t think all lighthouses look the same, split point has red at the top. I would love to learn about lighthouses soon and see if I was correct.

Thanks, Tom

• Dear Tom,
      Thank you for your comment. You have written it very well and I can tell that you have thought deeply about the reading. Well done!
      From Mrs Miller

9. Hi Mrs Miller,
    I know a lighthouse called the Splitpoint lighthouse. The light didn’t shine continuously because the sailors would be blinded by the light.
    Lighthouses can be different sizes and shapes and the lighthouse might be closer.
    Do you know what a lighthouse is made out of and how do you get the materials to do it?
    Have a awesome day
    From Amanda

• Dear Amanda,
      Thank you for your comment. I know what Splitpount Lighthouse is made of. I am looking forward to visiting again where the tour guide will tell us all about it. (I won’t spoil the surprise of finding out for you.)
      From Mrs Miller

10. Hello Mrs Miller!
    No l don’t think all lighthouses look the same because they would have different patterns and colours. And I have never been in a lighthouse before but I am looking forward to going in one at camp! I bet the top will be a beautiful view.
    Form Kayla

• Dear Kayla,
      Thank you for your comment. The view from the top of Dplitpoint Lighthouse is stunning! I am going to see if I can find a photo and post it on the blog to give everyone a “taste test” of what it looks like.
      From Mrs Miller

11. Howdy, Mrs Miller!

I have never actually been to a lighthouse before, but I have heard of one, the Split Point Lighthouse (the one that they used for the film ‘Round the Twist’).

In the old days, people used to live in lighthouses because they had to go up to the top to light the light every night.

Each lighthouse has a unique light. This is why all mariners (people who work on the ocean) know which lighthouse is which, and as a result, they can navigate through the sea.

Not all lighthouses look the same. Some can be tall and some can be short. Although they don’t all look the same, all lighthouses, obviously, need a light and the light is always positioned at the top.

Cheers, Emma!!!

• Dear Emma,

Thank you for your reply, you have been very informative. I once visited a lighthouse in New South Wales. Split point lighthouse was the first Victorian lighthouse I ever visited.

From Mrs Miller

12. Dear Miss miller

Am so excited to go on camp and mrs Stevens is calling as about split point lighthouse and I think that lighthouses a long time ago they had to physically light it and I’m really excited to go to spilt point lighthouse because I have never been to a lighthouse befor.
    Eden

• Dear Eden,
      Thank you for your comment. Mrs Stevens does know a lot about lighthouses. I’m happy she is there today to tell you about Splitpoint Lighthouse.
      I’ll see you tomorrow,
      Mrs Miller

13. Dear Mrs Miller,
    Yes I do know I lighthouse, it is in Anglesea and it also stars in Round The Twist.

Also I think that lighthouses are different because their light flashes are probably not identical. They might have different sizes of stripes and different shapes. I think that because then sailors can tell where they are and what lighthouse they’re at.

From Abbey

• Dear Abbey,
      Thank you for your fantastic comment. It must have been very different to have been a sailor back in the days when lighthouses were the only source of information to keeps the ships safe from crashing into the coastlines. These days they have much more technology to help sailors, don’t they?
      From Mrs Miller