Copyright and Creative Commons (Student Blogging Challenge)

Today we talked about what copyright is.

It is a really tricky concept to fully understand. We decided that, basically, copyright means that the creator of the photo/music/film/artwork/play/idea owns their creation. People who are granted permission to use their creations can do so and people who pay to use their creations are also ok.

We watched the following clip which helped us to understand some tricky concepts like public domain, fair use and copyright law.

After we watched the clip and had some great discussion, we had a go finding images with creative commons. This is when the creators of images have given their permission for people to use their creations.

Why do you think it is a good idea to use creative common pictures in your blog posts?

26 thoughts on “Copyright and Creative Commons (Student Blogging Challenge)

1. Hi Mrs. Miller,

I think you made it very interesting by using Disney characters and I learned a lot about copyright, fair use, and public doman.

2. Hi Mrs Miller,
    I watched the Fair(y) use video at home tonight with the boys. It’s all a little bit confusing. One question I would like clarified is…. Are you able to use an image from a google search that is not from creative commons as long as you include a link that states where the image came from?
    Miss Hunichen

• Hello Miss Hunichen,
      Thank you for visiting our blog. You have asked a very good question and we in 6A are still endeavouring to find out the answer. We are trying to use a plug in called compfight. We’ll let you know how we go.
      from Mrs Miller

3. Dear mrs Miller,
    I think that if I would of learned about that it would of caught my attention really we’ll because I love Walt Disney pictures so much. Also really because it did not now what that was but now that I saw it I now what a copy right is.
    Edith 🙂

4. G’day Mrs Miller,
    Thanks for taking part in the blogging challenge. As you are part of the global2 campus setup, you should have a plugin called compfight that you can activate. This will automatically find creative commons images and give you the attribution all with the click of one button.

Somewhere in Sue Waters post will be instructions re compfight – check the student blogging challenge post again.

5. Dear Mrs Miller
    I think it is good to use creative common because the person that took the picture is giving you permission to use it and you are not coping peoples photo.
    Creative commons is a good sight and if you type in a picture and put your curser over and down the bottom it will show the link.

6. Dear Mrs Miller,
    I think its a great idea to use creative common’s. Because they don’t mind if you use there photos and the people that they might not want you to use there photos and the people. That don’t want you to use there photo because they might of travelled a long way to take the photo and it could be how they live and earn money
    from Jesse.

7. Dear Mrs Miller
    I think creative common is good because the person who took the photograph is allowing you to use the photo but if you get it from google images the person who took the photo may not want you to use the photo.
    from Kyah

8. Dear Mrs Miller
    I think it is a good idea to use common images. Because you know it is ok to use that image and you know who has taken the photos.
    from Charlotte

9. Dear Mrs Miller,
    I think its ok to use pictures from the Creative Commons website is because the person that has taken the photo is basically telling you that it is ok to use it by uploading it to the website.
    From Karsten

10. Dear Mrs Miller,
    I think It is a good idea to use Creative Common pictures because The people or person who put the image up is practically saying “i’m giving you permission to use this photo.” ‘

From Tia 🙂

11. Dear Mrs Miller,
    I think it’s a good idea to use creative common images because then it wont get you in trouble for anything and you know you are allowed to use it because the photographer/creator has given permission.
    From Sarah

12. Hi Mrs Miller,
    I think it is a really good idea to use ‘creative commons’ because if we just get a picture the person that might of took it might not want you to. So it is a good idea to use ‘creative commons’ because the photographer gave permission.
    From Kye

13. Dear Mrs Miller
    I think it would be wise to include “Creative Commons” in your search words when seeking an image on the internet because the photographer has given you permission to use the image, as long as you don’t claim it yours. I’ll be mindful of what I search for!
    Kind regards
    Jessica

14. Hey Mrs Miller,
    I think it is good to use creative commons for photos on our blog because it is not copyright! Even though images on Google might not always be copyright it is good to be safe.
    From Macklan

15. Dear Mrs Miller
    I think it is a good idea to use Creative Commons images because the photographer is allowing the people to use the photo in the public domain.

16. Hi Mrs Miller,

I think it’s a good idea to use a “creative commons” picture because if it’s on the “creative commons” website that means the photographer has given you permission to use the photo and that means we are abiding the copyright laws.

From Jojo:)

17. Dear Mrs Miller,
    I think its a good idea to use creative commons pictures because the people are putting it out there for people to use and saying its ok to use their picture and you don’t have to ask them to use it. If you don’t use creative commons you should ask the person who’s picture it is or you should give them an acknowledgement under the picture.
    From Indiah

18. Hi Mrs Miller
    I think it is a great idea to use creative commons so you know you are actually allowed to use that photo and the photographer wont get angry.
    From Michaela

19. Dear Mrs Miller,
    I think it is a good idea to use creative common picture because you know who took the picture and that the person who took the picture is allowing you to use the picture however you want.
    I used creative common photos on my blog, if you would like to check out some photos visit my blog: http://iltpn.global2.vic.edu.au/
    Regards Demi.

20. Dear Mrs Miller
    It is a good idea to use creative commons pictures because they are safe to use with the copyright laws. It’s just as easy and it means your not stealing other peoples pictures. If you just get any photos of the internet you may be stealing someones pictures and you don’t even know it.

21. Hi Mrs Miller,
    I think it is a good idea to use Creative Commons pictures because the photographer has given permission for anyone to use it, whereas if it is not a creative common, they may not have given permission and may think you are breaking copyright laws.
    Chloe
    http://glmb.global2.vic.edu.au/