Dress up Day for Literacy

Today our whole school is supporting National Literacy and Numeracy Week by dressing up as book characters – even the teachers.

6A looking awesome!

Our dressed up teachers

National Literacy and Numeracy Week supports Reading, Writing and Maths in schools across Australia.

Our Year 1 team dressed up as Dorothy, the Lion, the Tinman and the Scarecrow from “The Wizard of Oz”.

Students today have been inspired by “Winnie the Pooh”, “Harry Potter” and many more favourite stories.

What are some of the impressive costumes you have seen today – name the character and the book they are from. Can you even remember the author’s name?

17 thoughts on “Dress up Day for Literacy

1. Dear Mrs Miller,
    One really cool costume I have seen today is being worn by Patrick in 6B. He has dressed up as Gandalf The Great. I also really like what Lachlan Elliot has dressed up as, he looks really realistic with that face paint on.

2. Dear Mrs Miller,
    Some of the costumes that I have seen today have been pretty cool. There were some amazing ompa lompa’s out in the school yard. The book that they are from is Charlie and the Chocolate Factory by Roald Dahl.
    I hope that we all have an amazing day and Have Fun!
    From Kate

3. Dear Mrs Miller.
    Today is dress up day YAY some of the costumes I have seen so far include:

Zigby- Zigby Dives in- Brian Paterson
    Martha B. Rabbit- Martha B. Rabbit-Shirley Barber
    Sunday Chutney- Sunday Chutney- ?
    Cat in the Hat- ?-?

4. Hi Mrs Miller,
    I have seen some great outfits I really like Lachlan from next door and I have also seen a lot of onesies
    from Jesse

5. Hi Mrs Miller,
    I think today everyone did a fantastic job with dressing up. My favourite would be the year 1 teachers coming dressed up as the Wizard of Oz characters.
    I also thought the Thing 1 and Thing 2 was a clever idea to do.
    People also dressed up as Sally person,Pooh Bear, Footy players, Micky Mouse, Willy Wonka, Harry Potter,Fairies and lots more.
    Well done to everyone
    from Demi.

6. Dear Mrs Miller ,
    I have seen some impressive costumes .My favourite is the ompa lompa from Charlie and the chocolate factory by Roald Dahl.
    From Michaela

7. Hi Mrs Miller,
    Today I’ve seen some great out fits like a Ompa loompa from Willy Wonker, lots of footy players, and Batman from comics.
    from Oscar

8. Dear Mrs Miller
    Today, some of the costumes I’ve seen have been magnificent! I’ve seen many such as Mr Willy Wonka from “Charlie and the Chocolate by Roald Dahl and Harry Potter from the many books of the well-known series written by J K Rowling. Not only students have dressed up, also the staff members have joined the fun. Have a book-tastic day!
    Regards
    Jessica

9. Dear Mrs Miller,
    Today I have seen many impressive costumes but there are 2 I liked most. They were Patrick who dressed up as Gandelf from “Lord of the Rings”, with his long grey robe and big grey beard. I also liked a boy’s costume, as he dressed up a an oomph-loomph from “Charlie and the Chocolate Factorie”.
    From Sarah

10. Dear Mrs Miller
    Today i have seen some pretty good costumes but I personal think the best one was tin-man from “The Wizard Of Oz”. The second best I think was the wizard from “Harry Potter”.
    from Kyah

11. Dear Mrs Miller,

Today out of all the costumes I’ve seen my favourite would have to be the Thing 1 and Thing 2 costume from a Dr Suess book.

From Jojo

12. Hi Mrs Miller,
    I have seen many amazing dress ups but I really like my sisters costume as Mrs Twit out of the Twits by Roald Dahl. I personally wouldn’t wear it as she has a pillow stuffed in her dress to make her look obese, she has a long witch nose so she looks like an old granny but she really matches her costume.
    From Indiah

13. Hi Mrs Miller,
    I have seen some very impressing dress ups today but the ones that stood out to me were Lola dressed up as Sally Pearson, Mrs Lee dressed up as The Queen of Hearts from Alice in Wonderland, Haley from prep dressed up as red riding hood, Mrs Cruickshank as cat in the hat and the tin man from The Wizard Of Oz.
    From Emma 6A

14. Dear Mrs Miller,
    I saw a Sumo Wrestler that was wearing a mask and he had a pillow in his shirt with black belt. I thought he was very original and funny. What is your favourite costume?
    From Caedon

15. Hello Mrs Miller,
    I have seen some great costumes but my favourite and I think the best, was the Tin Man from “The Wizard of Oz”.
    from James